Celebrate Earth Day with reusable bags
Posted by by Bea James, senior manager of organic, natural and sustainable programs
Monday, April 15, 2013
Earth Day is right around the corner and we’re celebrating with a tasting event on Saturday, April 20th in all 22 stores, and in honor of Earth Day, we want to encourage you to use eco-friendly, reusable shopping bags.
We offer reusable shopping bags in our stores that are washable and fold into a compact square for easy storage. Each time you use a reusable bag when shopping with us, we donate five cents to Second Harvest Heartland.
To date we’ve donated more than $225,000 thanks to our customers’ use of reusable bags!
Second Harvest Heartland distributes more than 51 million pounds of food and grocery products annually to nearly 1,000 food shelves, soup kitchens, shelters and programs throughout Minnesota and Western Wisconsin.
An average customer uses six shopping bags per week. Multiply that by our current U.S. population and it could be as many as 7.5 billion paper or plastic bags per month!
- A plastic shopping bag can take up to 1,000 years to decompose.
- Made from petroleum products and natural gas, plastic bags utilize nonrenewable resources, ultimately driving up fuel prices.
- The average reusable bag has the lifespan of more than 700 disposable plastic bags.
- Over a lifetime, use of reusable bags by just one person would save more than 22,000 plastic bags.
- Many home recycling services do not take plastic bags, but you can recycle your plastic bags using the drop-off bins at any Lunds or Byerly’s.
So the next time you’re shopping with us, remember to bring your reusable bag. You’re not only helping the planet, you’re helping those in our communities receive the food they need. Happy Earth Day!