DIY Valentine’s Day dinner ideas
Posted by by Craig Thomas, catering specialist
Friday, January 31, 2014
It’s that time of year again when love is in the air ... Valentine’s Day!
If you’re looking to celebrate in style without breaking your budget, or simply prefer a more low-key evening in the comfort of your own home, consider planning a stay-at-home event with that special person in your life.
Create a Romantic Ambience
- Light the room with an array of candles in an exotic fragrance such as jasmine or ylang-ylang.
- Turn on the love songs! Whether you’re a jazz, rock or country fan, there are great compilations of classic love songs available.
- Fill the room with fresh cut flowers, but stay away from those expensive roses that can often get marked up 100% in anticipation of the big day.
- Limit distractions by shutting off electronic devices such as smart phones and tablets.
Prepare a Special Meal
Avoid the high cost of restaurants on Valentine’s Day by crafting a special meal together. Cooking a meal together not only gives the two of you some additional quality alone time, it also increases teamwork and communication!
There are a number of websites available with delicious recipes. You may want to check out our recipes or Delish for some romantic dinner ideas.
If you’re not much of a chef or just short on time, Lunds and Byerly’s Catering has a gourmet Valentine meal for two that requires minimum work on your part. This meal includes:
- Salad: Romaine, spinach and red oak lettuce garnished with strawberries, almonds, fresh shaved fennel and shredded carrots. Served with sherry Dijon vinaigrette. Accompanied by a 1/2 baguette with butter, Dijon and brie.
- Entrée: Lobster macaroni and cheese, petite beef Wellingtons with béarnaise, and green beans tossed in roasted garlic butter.
- Dessert: Chocolate lava cake with strawberry sauce.
Orders must be placed by Tuesday, February 11, 2014.
Plan Some After-Dinner Entertainment
Keep the spirit of the evening alive by popping in a DVD of a classic romantic film. Romance films are not his thing you say? There are plenty of movies that have an appeal to both men and women alike. Some of my personal favorites are The Princess Bride, Casablanca, Before Sunrise, Annie Hall, When Harry Met Sally and Forgetting Sarah Marshall.
Remember, Valentine’s Day isn’t about the gifts or an elaborate evening out on the town…it’s about spending time with the one you love!