Healthy kid-friendly snacks under 250 calories
Posted by Janice Cox, RDN, LD, Lunds and Byerly’s Registered Dietitian/Nutritionist
Monday, February 17, 2014
These frigid Minnesota temps have us huddling inside out of the cold! Schools tend to keep kids out of the cold for recess and it’s dark before your little ones get home, meaning exercise patterns can dip in the winter.
To help counter some of these activity lulls, I have three snack recipes that are healthy and kid-approved!
Bananas and almond milk
- 8 ounces Silk pure almond dark chocolate almond milk (100 calories)
- 1 small banana (100 calories)
Total calories for this snack: 200
- 1 tablespoon almond butter (100 calories)
- 1 Flatout multigrain with flax wrap (100 calories)
- ½ cup sliced strawberries (25 calories)
Spread almond butter on wrap. Place sliced strawberries on almond butter and roll wrap.
Total calories for this snack: 225
Make your own trail mix:
- 1/4 cup Kind vanilla blueberry clusters with flax seeds cereal (98 calories)
- 14 Teddy Grahams – honey, whole grain (90 calories)
- 1 tablespoon raisins (30 calories)
Combine clusters cereal, Teddy Grahams and raisins in a large bowl. Mix with large spoon until evenly combined.
*Makes about ½ cup portion
Total calories for this snack: 218
Sweet and salty snack
- 1 medium apple (95 calories)
- 1 serving (about 55 pieces) Goldfish crackers, cheddar, baked and made with whole grains (140 calories)
Total calories for this snack: 235
Watch me prepare these on WCCO TV >