Making time for family meals
Posted by by Craig Thomas, catering specialist
Thursday, September 5, 2013
After the long lazy days of summer, getting the family into the back-to-school routine can be both exciting and hectic. The return to a quicker pace, homework and after school activities can add more stress to your family’s already busy schedule.
Many families may find themselves long on activities and short on time, making dinner around the table together hard to achieve. Research has shown there are numerous benefits of having family mealtime. Dinner conversation gives you time to bond, plan and connect with your family. Also, meals prepared and eaten at home are typically more nutritious, which provides a great opportunity to teach your children healthy eating habits.
Here are some easy tips to make family time happen every night:
- Prepare a dinner plan for the week - Take a look at your family’s schedule to determine which nights have more time for cooking. Get the kids involved by letting them choose one meal a week or get them in the kitchen to help cook.
- Create a shopping list There are a number of great online shopping tools and applications for smart phones and tablets that can turn your meal plan into a shopping list. Our Lunds and Byerly’s app is a great tool to find your favorite recipes and easily convert them into a shopping list! You can easily search for and find recipes, weekly featured items and special offers for mobile app users.
- Shop right - Hit the stores with your grocery list. Your list in hand is a powerful tool that gets you through the store faster and helps keep you on the right track for your meal planning. Don’t have time to go to the store? Our online shopping is a great time saver. You click it, we pick it! Online shopping is available for delivery to your home or office, as well as pick up at select store locations.
Short on time and still want a nutritious and delicious meal? Lunds and Byerly’s Catering has launched a new Heat and Eat meal program. These meals are economically priced and portioned for two people. They’re available for delivery or pick up at Byerly’s St. Louis Park. With a few simple steps, you’ll have a nutritious meal ready in 60 minutes or less.
Our menu will rotate approximately every six weeks. Here is a sampling from our first featured selections:
- Lemon Chicken Al Forno with herb roasted red potatoes and garlic green beans
- Bacon Wrapped Pork Loin with roasted root vegetables and shallot roasted green beans
- Pumpkin ravioli with sage pesto cream sauce, served with an Italian chop salad.
Complete your meal by pairing it with a delicious dessert such as our mini cheesecakes and our signature Killer Brownie bites.
Whether you cook at home or eat out, family meals are an important time to unplug from our digital world. Enjoy the new school year and let us know if we can be of service here at Lunds and Byerly’s Catering!