The story behind our cakes
Posted by Amy Fouks, bakery category manager
Tuesday, May 20, 2014
We pride ourselves on the quality of our cakes and know they’re second to none! But why?
They’re filled with quality ingredients, from our exclusive cake mix that you won’t find in any other market to our signature buttercream frosting made with a special vanilla extract. Our cakes are made in small batches resulting in fresher products. And all our cakes are handmade, right down to measuring ingredients by hand to ensure you always get the perfect cake.
Our Cake Mix
- Oil – Provides a velvety smooth texture, adds moisture and crumb appeal. We use soybean oil, which has zero grams of trans fat.
- Eggs – Eggs provide proteins that give our cakes their volume, height, structure, and contributes to crumb appeal.
- Flavorings & Extracts – They provide the perfect combination for a rich, deep flavor profile. We use natural and artificial vanilla extract, and almond emulsion. In the right proportion the two flavors marry together perfectly; too much almond will make it bitter, not enough vanilla and it will be bland.
View more wedding cake images >
Our Buttercream Frosting
- Shortening – We use a specialized cake icing shortening. Made specifically for icing, this shortening has zero grams of trans fat. No hydrogenated oils here.
- Butter – Salted butter is used in our buttercream, but not all butter is the same. Water content can vary from butter to butter, so we make sure our butter has the correct ratio to provide us with a consistent finished product.
- Sugar – We use fondant sugar and Nuvert (an inverted sugar). As with all fondant sugars, ours has a small starch content to help keep clumping to a minimum. Nuvert is a liquid form of sugar; it’s highly concentrated and helps provide a smooth texture and spreading ability.
- Vanilla – We use Mother Murphy’s vanilla extract in our icing. They use a technique that’s not always commonly found in the extract business. They grind the beans and submit them to their exclusive, highly specialized, 21-day cold extraction process. The result is a superior vanilla that can be used to enhance everything from baked goods to dairy products.
View more custom decorated cakes >
Other Facts to Note
- Our cakes are made in smaller batches, resulting in a fresher product.
- All our cakes are handmade, right down to measuring ingredients by hand, to ensure you always get the perfect cake.
- We haven’t changed our cake size – it remains the same size it was 20 years ago.
- We still use only the finest ingredients. Our high-quality standards are the same as they were decades ago.
Now that you know why our cakes are so delicious, taste it for yourself!
Make an appointment with the cake decorator or pastry chef at your store to chat about what they can create for your next special event. Even if there isn’t a wedding on your calendar, you could have an anniversary, birthday or family gathering that needs a creative touch! You’ll be amazed at the level of talent in our stores and their abilities to create just about anything.