Beef Brisket Carbonnade
Slow baking in beer makes the brisket tender and creates a rich au jus.
- 1 (3- 4 pound) trimmed beef brisket
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can beef broth
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle porter beer
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 3 ribs celery, cut in 1-inch pieces
- 4 large garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 teaspoons dried basil, crumbled
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 bay leaves
In 5-quart Dutch oven, brown meat in oil; remove from heat. Stir in remaining ingredients. Bake, covered, in a preheated 325 F oven until very tender (3-4 hours). Remove meat from liquid; cool slightly. Slice diagonally across grain into thin slices.
To Serve: Spoon warm au jus over meat.
Amount: 8-10 servings
Tip: Meat mixture can be spooned onto 12-16 Kaiser rolls for sandwiches.
Sign Up for Our Newsletter
We'll send you our sale items and an exclusive web-only offer
every week. Sign up >