Old-Fashioned Oyster Stew
- 1 pint fresh oysters, drained
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 quart whole milk
1. Melt butter in a heavy saucepan or top of double boiler; add oysters.
2. Cook oysters about 3 - 5 minutes, until edges ruffle.
3. Slowly add milk, stirring constantly. Heat thoroughly.
4. Add salt and pepper; serve piping hot.
Makes 5 servings.
Recipe Adjustment for Old-fashioned Oyster Stew:
Select diet; follow recipe using substitutions below.
Reduced Sodium: Omit salt. Use unsalted margarine. 170 mg sodium per serving.
Reduced Cholesterol: Use margarine in place of butter. Use skim milk and only 1 cup oysters. 28 mg cholesterol per serving.
Reduced Calorie: Use 2 tablespoons margarine; use skim milk. 178 calories per serving.
Diabetic Exchange (for original recipe): 3/4 milk exchange & 1 meat exchange & 3 fat exchanges per serving.
Sign Up for Our Newsletter
We'll send you our sale items and an exclusive web-only offer
every week. Sign up >