ALASKA CRAB TACOS
Prep time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 10 minutes | Servings: 4 (2 tacos each)
- 12 to 16 oz. Alaska Crabmeat (from 2 to 3 pounds of Alaska King, Snow or Dungeness crab)
- 4 red bell peppers OR 10 to 12 oz. bottled roasted red peppers
- 1 cup Mexican crema or sour cream
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 2 cups grated Queso Oaxaca or Monterey Jack cheese
- 8 small (6 to 7-inch) tortillas, warmed
- Favorite hot sauce, if desired
Rinse frozen Alaska Crab legs under cold running water to remove any ice glaze; pat dry with paper towels. Discard towels. Steam or boil frozen crab in a large pot for 6 to 8 minutes, until heated through. When cool, use kitchen shears to cut the shells open and remove crabmeat. Chop or shred meat, if desired.
Over an open flame (grill or cooktop), roast bell peppers until blackened. Cool slightly; rub off skin with a paper towel (or place in a paper bag for 5 minutes for skin to soften). Seed and thinly slice peppers.
Mix crema, cilantro and lime juice together in a small bowl; set aside.
To serve, divide red pepper strips, cheese and crabmeat between tortillas. Top with 2 tablespoons crema mixture. Serve with your favorite hot sauce, if desired.
Cook’s Tip: Alaska Crab is already fully cooked, so thawed crab legs may be shelled without steaming or boiling.
Nutrients per serving (2 tacos): 622 calories, 33g total fat, 18g saturated fat, 48% calories from fat, 42g protein, 40g carbohydrate, 4g fiber, 1130mg sodium, 613mg calcium, and 530mg omega-3 fatty acids.