Tim's Big Game Recipes
Gouda and Bacon Dip with Smoked Almonds
- 8 slices center cut bacon, chopped
- 8 ounces softened cream cheese
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 rounded teaspoons prepared Dijon style mustard
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Gouda cheese
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 1/2 cup smoked almonds, coarsely chopped
Baby carrots and a selection of spiced flat breads, cocktail sized pumpernickel or rye breads, or sliced whole grain baguettes, for dipping
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Brown bacon in nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Drain crisp bacon bits on paper towels.
In a mixing bowl, combine cream cheese, mayonnaise, Dijon, Swiss and scallions with cooked bacon. Transfer to a shallow small casserole or baking dish and bake until golden and bubbly at edges, 15 to 18 minutes. Top with chopped smoked almonds. Place dip on a platter and surround warm casserole with breads and carrots for dipping.
Variation: Swiss and Bacon Dip with Horseradish - Stir in 2 rounded teaspoons prepared horseradish when combining cheese and bacon.
Southwester Ranch Chili
- 1 lb. hamburger, browned
- 20 ounce ground turkey, browned
- 1 med. onion, chopped and browned with above
- 2 pkgs. taco seasoning
- 2 pkgs. Hidden Valley Ranch dressing seasoning
- 1-16oz. can black bean, not drained
- 1-16 oz. can pinto beans, not drained
- 1-16 oz. can kidney beans, not drained
- 2-16 oz. cans diced tomatoes with chilis
- 1 lb. bag frozen corn, add last 15 minutes
Simmer for 2 hours covered. Stir every 15-20 minutes.
Add corn last 15 minutes.
Serve with cheese, sour cream, black olives
Cumin Brined Chicken Wings with Salsa Verde
For the chicken and brine:
- 3/4 cup kosher salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons black peppercorns
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed
- 5 pounds chicken wings, cut in half at the joint
For the rub:
- 2 teaspoons dried rosemary
- 2 teaspoons ground white pepper
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
For the salsa:
- 1/2 cup fresh basil
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon capers
- 1 teaspoon anchovy paste
- 2 tablespoons chopped roasted red peppers
- 1 tablespoon chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Kosher salt
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Prepare the brine: In a large soup pot, bring 2 cups water to a boil. Add the kosher salt, peppercorns and garlic. Make sure the salt is dissolved. Remove from heat. Add 14 cups cold water. Add the wings. Refrigerate 4-6 hours.
Mix all the rub ingredients in a large resealable plastic bag. Drain the wings. Rinse under cool water, pat very dry and put in the bag with the rub. Mix to coat evenly. Seal the bag and refrigerate until ready to cook. (You can do this a day ahead.)
Preheat the broiler. Remove the wings from the bag and place in a single layer on a lightly oiled foil-lined pan. Spray lightly with oil spray. Broil for 8 minutes, then turn and cook for an additional 5 to 8 minutes, or until crisp and golden.
Meanwhile, combine all the ingredients for the salsa, except the olive oil, in a food processor, using salt to taste. Slowly add the oil and puree until smooth. Serve the wings with the salsa.
6 to 8 servings