Lunds and Byerly's
About Us Our Stores Shop For Groceries Order Party Food & Gifts Recipes & Expertise Classes & Events

Our History

Original Lunds Store and Founder 

Our company is filled with family traditions and values that can be traced back three generations. Its reputation of providing superior customer service and high-quality products can be contributed to the standards set by its founder, Russell T. Lund.

With an evident work ethic, Lund began his grocery career in 1922 at Hoves, a small corner grocery store located on the corner of Lake Street and Hennepin Avenue in Minneapolis. Within three months, he became a full-time employee and a 10 percent partner in the cheese and cracker department. An entrepreneur by nature, Lund experimented with pre-popped and packaged popcorn to sell in Hoves’ cracker department. A short time later, Lund turned his experiment into a profitable business called the Red E Popt Popcorn Company and established the guarantee of customer satisfaction with the promise to “cheerfully refund your money.”

In 1939, Lund partnered with his former employers, becoming a full-partner in the Hoves’ perishable department. Using profits from his popcorn business, Lund opened a new grocery store on Lake Street under the Hove name, which was one of the first self-service grocery stores in the area. Three years later, he opened another store in Edina on 50th Street and France Avenue. The Hoves stores’ lease expired in February 1964 and soon, Hoves grocery stores were renamed Lunds.

Stores in Maple Grove and Plymouth and Tres Lund, CEO

Today, Lund Food Holdings, Inc. continues to grow under the guidance of its CEO, Russell T. Lund III (Tres), grandson of founder Russell T. Lund. In April 1997, Lunds acquired a local friendly competitor called Byerly’s Inc., which was founded by Don Byerly in 1968. The marriage of the two companies is considered an industry success story with both entities maintaining separate identities under one parent umbrella. Yet, both brands have managed to successfully combine their service-oriented philosophies. As a result, customers receive the best in product and services at all stores.

“We want to offer our customers sensational shopping experiences each time they visit any one of our stores,” says Tres Lund. “Lunds and Byerly’s will continue its tradition of being dedicated to quality and service as well as innovation and growth. Together, we will continue to exceed our customers’ expectations while maintaining the personalities and standards our customers recognize in each brand.”

Lund Food Holdings currently owns and operates 11 Lunds and 11 Byerly’s supermarkets in the Twin Cities and surrounding area.

Company Timeline

1922: Russell T. Lund Sr. takes summer job in the produce/dairy section of Hoves and later works full-time.
1937: Russell moves to California and establishes a thriving popcorn business called Red E Popt Popcorn Company.
1939: Russell T. Lund Sr. partners with his former employers and becomes a full partner in Hoves’ perishable department. Using the profits from his popcorn business, he opens a new grocery store under the Hoves name on Lake Street.
1942: Hove’s at 50th and France in Edina opens.
1964: Hove’s lease expires and the stores are renamed Lunds.
1967: Lunds Penn Avenue opens
1968: Don Byerly opens first Byerly’s store in Golden Valley.
1969: Lunds Minnetonka opens.
1971: Byerly’s St. Paul opens.
1973: Byerly’s Edina opens.
1977: Byerly’s St. Cloud opens.
1980: Byerly’s St. Louis Park opens.
1982: Byerly’s Ridgedale opens
1983: Lunds Ford Parkway opens.
1984: Lunds Wayzata opens.
1986: Byerly’s Bloomington opens.
1987: Byerly’s Roseville opens.
1988: Byerly’s Burnsville opens.
1990: Don Byerly sells majority ownership of Byerly’s to an investment firm while retaining a minority ownership and serving on the board of directors.
1991: Russell T. Lund III (Tres) becomes president and CEO of Lunds.
1994: Byerly’s Chanhassen opens.
1994: Lunds Bloomington opens.
1996: Byerly’s Eagan opens.
1997: Lunds acquires Byerly’s and integrates the two formats under one company umbrella called Lund Food Holdings, Inc.
1999: Byerly’s Maple Grove opens.
2001: Lunds Plymouth opens.
2004: Lund Food Holdings acquires three Rick’s Markets.

Lund Food Holdings acquires Mitchell Road Production Facility.
2006: Rick’s Navarre renamed Lunds Navarre.

Lunds Central & University opens.
2012: Lunds Hennepin Avenue in downtown Minneapolis opens.
2013: Lund Food Holdings acquires Village Market in Prior Lake and renames it Lunds Prior Lake.
2014:

Lunds & Byerlys Kitchen opens in downtown Wayzata.

Lunds Penfield in downtown St. Paul opens.