FREE Monthly Organic and Natural Magazine
Posted by by Bea James, senior manager of organic, natural and sustainable programs
Friday, February 24, 2012
Every month we publish our Organic and Natural magazine and offer it to our customers for FREE. The magazine is always loaded with new item information, health and wellness articles, terrific recipes, and we showcase more than 30 organic and natural brands that are on sale for the entire month.
Here’s just a little of what I got out of this month’s issue:
- Did you know that tangerines contain a flavonoid called ‘tangeretin’ that may help protect against heart disease, Parkinson’s disease and cancer?
- New items we have on sale all month: Mamma Chia, Liberte 0% Greek Yogurt, Q.bel Wafer Bars, Talbotts Teas, evol Flatbreads, Natures Organic Freeze Dried Fruit
- Garlic helps lower cholesterol and fight inflammation, plus a super easy recipe called Easy Roasted Garlic that is a delicious topping on baked potatoes
All of our articles are written by health professionals and the recipes are developed by some of the best experts in the industry. It’s written for the busy lifestyle with quick sound bites and to-the-point articles so you can flip through and learn on-the-spot.
I really love this magazine and find it to be a very useful tool for keeping myself up to speed on all the trends in the organic and natural industry.
Recipe courtesy of the National Chicken Council.
My favorite recipe from the February edition:
Sweet and Spicy Tomato and Pepper Chicken Stew
45 minutes Prep Time, Serves 6-8
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 ½ lb chicken thigh meat, boneless and skinless, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 ½ Tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- ½ cup raisins
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 can (14.5 oz) white beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- Cooked rice, optional
- In a Dutch oven or large soup pot, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. When hot, add chicken and stir. Sauté, stirring often, for about 5 minutes or until chicken is browned on all sides.
- Add green pepper, onion, and garlic. Stir and reduce heat to medium. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 6-7 minutes or until vegetables are softened. Add chili powder, garam masala, nutmeg, ginger, salt, and brown sugar. Sauté, stirring for another 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, broth, raisins, and vinegar. Stir, raise heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and cook for about 25-30 minutes or until chicken is tender and cooked through.
- Add beans, stir and cook for another 2-3 minutes or until beans are heated through. Serve (over rice, if desired) garnish with chopped parsley.
Pick up your free copy of our Organic and Natural magazine at the entrance of any of our stores. You’ll see firsthand all the great organic and natural deals we have in store for you, plus I promise you will learn something new, and I’d be interested to know what you think. Let me know what you liked, learned or want to see more of. I’d love to hear from you!